Reference Sustainability & Performance - Cost and Area Benchmarking
Benchmark Cockpit for Operating and Rental Costs
The client is the owner and operator of a commercial real estate portfolio with 200 sites across Switzerland, covering a floor area of 1.5m square meters. In the future, the customer wants to continually track the operating costs of the properties and the rental spaces using a benchmark-cockpit, allowing also a comparison with market costs.
The benchmark-cockpit shall cover the following customer requirements:
- Transparent and comparable costs for the operation of the properties, covering 200 sites
- Transparent and comparable costs for the operation of the tenants (utilities and direct rental costs)
- Comparison of the operating and tenant’s costs with the market-benchmark from pom+
- Provide an easy-to-use online analytics tool for various users (portfolio, facility and property manager, center manager and store manager)
- Recognition of cost deviations and potential on specific properties or rental spaces
- Documentation of the analysis results as well as implemented measures presented as text
Solution to the Problem/the Question
The cockpit was designed with a software called Tableau Software (www.tableau.com). The data cube for the tableau software is generated from the MS SQL Server Benchmark environment from pom+. After the import of the customer’s data into pom+’s benchmark data base, the customer’s figures can be calculated immediately and thus can be compared immediately with market data. The updated cost efficiency of the business and the separate properties are now online and available anytime by mouse click, split into the following dimensions: “technical operation”, “maintenance”, “cleaning” and “energy”.
Services of pom+Consulting AG
pom+ has designed the benchmark cockpit in close cooperation with representatives of all the stakeholders of the customer.
The following solution approach achieves the benefits required by the customer:
- Identification of data sources of the customer (surface, frequencies, costs, energy etc.) and analysis
- Defining of suitable figures for benchmarking and determining modelling rules, stemming from existing data sources from the customer.
- Designing automated interfaces between the customer’s data world and pom+’s.
- Importing the customer’s data, including standardization
- Analysis of consistency and quality of costumer data (including the implementation of measures for improvement)
- Development of the graphic benchmark-cockpit featuring four user sessions (user workshops)
- Implementation of the benchmark cockpit into the stakeholder’s core processes
- Training and implementation of the benchmark cockpit for various user groups
- Ensuring the operation of the benchmark cockpit